• Current practice is fine

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MycroftJr

Talkative
Best answers
Currently, when town falls, even if multiple players were already there waiting to loot, a single player can claim a single chunk as an outpost and then order everyone else "off their land" under punishment of ban if they return. This is clearly, IMO, an abuse of the server's "off my land" rules - and shouldn't even be allowed.

My proposals for more rational looting:
1. The free-for-all: When a town falls, until the next towny upkeep time (i.e. for 24 hours), no town or outpost may be established if that new town/outpost's "player expulsion" radius overlaps the "no griefing" radius of the old town. The logic here should be clear. This allows for a more pure, anarchistic looting of the fallen town, with no possibility of the above shenanigans.
2. The auction: When a town falls, it shall instead be frozen (considered as belonging to the server, all permissions turned off, etc), and an auction be held for the town's land and resources. IMO this auction should last for at least 24 hours to be fair to other timezones and prevent the risk of severe under-paying. If possible, players could be allowed to "tour" the fallen town in spectator mode, in order to see what they would be purchasing, without having to unlock any doors or break floors. If not, it would basically be the "Storage Wars" TV show, where auctioners merely have to guess on the value of the fallen town's contents. In either case, this would allow for a more organized, capitalistic looting process, and introduce a fun element of monetary risk to the process.

XP_PD

Donator
Former Staff
Best answers
I really like the idea honestly but I can see few problems with 2,

Its gonna cost a fortune to raid towns + buying unlock keys on top. Which makes it unfair for players who cant afford paying the "auction fees"

Fear

Famous
Donator
Former Staff
Best answers
I'm more fond of the 1st idea, but I agree with beck with the players not being able to buy it from the auction

DodieC

Well Known
Donator
Former Staff
Best answers
I think a compromise on the free for all and current system could work, in that people can claim a chunk or more if they want (sometimes people want to save builds) cause no claims for 24hr is hard to police but they can’t do their best Shrek impressions (get off my land) straight away leaving the rest of the area free for raiding.

lukemango

Owner
Owner
Best answers
The thing is, as we're practically the governing body of CYT, our role is to enforce rules and keep CYT alive. We don't want to be waiting for every town to fall, claiming it then auctioning it etc etc.

As @DodieC we could stop people claiming and kicking people away as soon as the town falls, that is more viable.
I personally think outposts shouldn't have the same 200 "get away" land as the main town, which would work as people claim these as outposts.

Dhanky

Builder
Builder
Donator
Best answers
I like idea 1, it's easily implemented clear and strict. Idea 2 is a possibility, but I think it's a lot of hassle and extra work.

Amber

Known
Donator
Best answers
I do not like the current system, so almost any change would be worth trying.

I think Dodie and Luke came up with a great idea for us to try out, which is not let Outposts have the same 200 "get away" land as the main town. This would still allow people to claim certain chunks and hold on to them to loot later when things cool down, but it would stop them from getting an entire large town just by outposting a couple well spaced chunks.

This rule would still allow townless people to claim fallen towns as a town and take it over, but that's still less bad than what happens now.

I don't like the auction idea. That is only going to allow the rich to get richer while not allowing newer players to ever get a chance to loot a fallen town.

Amber

Known
Donator
Best answers
If we do change it to a 24 hour free-for-all rule, I thing there should be an exception to the rule that former members of that town can claim land.

Fear

Famous
Donator
Former Staff
Best answers
If we do change it to a 24 hour free-for-all rule, I thing there should be an exception to the rule that former members of that town can claim land.
That would cause a lot of complaining prob for ppl not knowing if that person was in the town, and reporting it to staff before etc

MycroftJr

Talkative
Best answers
Just to clarify, obviously option 2 would require some kind of new plugin or expansion of the Towny code. For the staff to have to do that manually would be a real pain.

I was thinking that #1 could also be plugin-enforced, but obviously it's easier.

I did consider Amber's caveat, but glen convinced me that it was an abusable way to avoid taxes. He and I both apparently forgot that the initial claim cost is still higher than upkeep.

Lastly, the no kicking from outposts rule is good, but I don't think allowing claims during the looting period is safe. What would prevent a Mayor from ordering/suggesting to a resident that they leave the town and make a new one to claim the loot?

69in

Well Known
Donator
Best answers
Play the server, make some money, keep your town. This is the essentials to towny. No matter what server you play towny on always remember those things. Please do not complain about what happens to your town when you do not play or what happens to other's towns when they do not play for they chose to not play. If you are complaining about who gets the loot when the town falls then it's simply, whatever way that is required for you to get loot, you do it. No question's asked. Henceforth before of these suggestions are out of question and would be a waste of time to develop.

RileyDean

Admin
Admin
Best answers
Play the server, make some money, keep your town. This is the essentials to towny. No matter what server you play towny on always remember those things. Please do not complain about what happens to your town when you do not play or what happens to other's towns when they do not play for they chose to not play. If you are complaining about who gets the loot when the town falls then it's simply, whatever way that is required for you to get loot, you do it. No question's asked. Henceforth before of these suggestions are out of question and would be a waste of time to develop.
I don't think this is a complaint. This is simply a suggestion to create a structure that prevents people from seizing these fallen towns for themselves.

Emo_Hobo

Admin
Admin
Best answers
I also would agree with the exemption of 200 block radius on outposts. Its pretty unlikely that someone is going to create an entire town on a fallen town just to loot it, but I guess crazier has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.